Legal advice from The People’s Lawyer, Attorney Barney Almazar, Esq.

“Na-in love po ako sa may asawa! Mato-trobol po ba ako sa batas? Ano na laaang???”

If you are in the UAE and you have engaged in illicit sexual activities with a married person, then it is possible for you to get in trouble with the law. Under Article 356 of the UAE Penal Code, persons caught committing sexual acts outside marriage can be liable to a penalty of a minimum jail term of one year plus deportation. Both of you can also lose your gratuity under Article 120 (g) of the Labour Code. Hindi lang ang asawa ng ka-relasyon mo ang puwedeng mag-report sa pulis. Any person who has knowledge about your illicit sexual activities can report you to the police. If you are in the Philippines, you can be held liable for either of the following:


This case is filed against a married woman and a man engaged in a sexual relationship. In adultery cases, importante na alam ni lalake na kasal si babae. It is only the married woman’s husband who can file the case against them. If convicted, both the wife and the paramour may face imprisonment from 2 years, 4 months and 1 day to 6 years.


This case is filed against a married man and a woman engaged in a sexual relationship. In addition to engaging in illicit sexual relationship, the husband must also commit the following acts:

keep his mistress in the conjugal dwelling

have sexual intercourse under scandalous circumstances

cohabit with the mistress in another place.

If convicted, the husband will suffer imprisonment ranging from 6 months and 1 day up to 6 years, while the mistress will suffer the penalty of destierro. Tandaan, nag-abroad ka para guminhawa ang iyong pamilya, hindi para magkaroon ng ibang pamilya.

“Gusto ko pong magpa-kasal pero di pa kami annulled ng ex ko. Mapa-process ko po ba yun kahit nasa abroad ako? Ano na laaang???”

Yes, you can process your annulment even if you are abroad. First, you need to hire a lawyer who will draft your petition for annulment. Pagkatapos ma-draft ng petition, you need to sign it at the Philippine Embassy or Consulate, in front of an officer authorized to take oaths. The authenticated and signed documents will then be sent back to the Philippines for filing. The petition will be filed with the Family Court. The court will notify the other party to give his or her side. If the public prosecutor determines that there is no collusion between the parties, the case will be set for pre-trial so parties can agree on the facts surrounding the case. Next is the trial proper where both parties will present their respective evidence. If the court finds the petition meritorious, it will issue the decree of annulment. After updating your records with the civil registry, you can already remarry. Your other option is to file for divorce in the UAE. You can use this to remarry anywhere in the world, except in the Philippines and Vatican. Relationships are meant for us to experience its joyful moments and learn from its challenges. We only have limited time in our lives and we should live it with those who matter the most. Ending a relationship is simply moving on to the next chapter of your life.

1 comment

  1. Hi Atty;

    Ask ko lang po meron po akong police case and my passport po at nasa police for 6 months dahil di ko pa po nababaydan ung fine ko sa court. And my son is here po sa UAE, gusto ko po sana na iaapply siya ng residence visa under my sponsorship is that possible po?

    Sa ngayon po di ko alam if nagfile na din ng case ung 2 cc banks na may default payments ako.Willing naman po ako magbayad di pa lang talag kaya sa ngayon. Gusto ko po sana ipriority muna ang visa ng anak ko.

    Salamat po sa magiging sagot niyo.

Leave a Reply